Patagonia Photography Workshop Details
INSTRUCTOR(s): Joseph Rossbach & Mark LaRowe
PLACE: Meeting place is Calafate, Argentina. Locations include Los Glaciares National Park in Argentina and Torres del Paine National Park in Chile.
DATES: April 10-21, 2024
COST: $7495.00 double occupancy. ($1200.00 single supplement).
DEPOSIT: $1000, non refundable unless we can fill your spot. There is a 250.00 cancelation fee.
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Mostly easy with one optional strenuous hike.
Group Size: 12 - Two instructors
6 Remaining Spaces
Final balance will be due at 90 days in advance of the tour. Any cancelation after this is non refundable. Please make sure to purchase Travel insurance in case you have an emergency and have to cancel.
Day 1. Arrival in El Calafate (airport code FTE from Buenos Aires AEP). Hotel Patagonia Queen
(people arrive at different times. It is extremely easy to just book a taxi to the hotel, $25). Meet
with group & guides. Welcome dinner.
Day 2. Full day Perito Moreno Glacier – Full day exploring the Glacier. Return to El Calafate.
Day 3. Drive to El Chalten (about 2-3hs), through the Patagonian steppe. Check in at Chalten
Suites Hotel. Explore the area in the afternoon.
Day 4, 5, and 6. Full days in El Chalten, visiting many amazing locations. Hike to Laguna Capri
included (1 day).
Day 7. Drive to Torres del Paine. Practically a full day, includes the border crossing. The group
enters Torres del Paine NP (entrance fee included) and checks in at Hosteria Pehoe.
Days 8, 9, and 10. Torres del Paine. Full days visiting different locations in the park.
Day 11. Drive back to El Calafate. Check in at Hotel Patagonia Queen. Farewell dinner.
Day 12. Participants can catch their rides to the airport after breakfast. Ride not included
- Patagonia, a land of jagged peaks, towering blue glaciers, and wind-swept plains, is one of the most breathtaking places on the planet.
- The mountains of the Southern Andes are among the world’s most inspiring and dramatic.
- The world famous Perito Moreno Glacier.
- Chalten and Los Glacieres National Park, Argentina, home to Fitz Roy and the Southern Patagonian Ice Field.
- The awe-inspiring mountain peaks of Torres del Paine National Park in Chile.
- Stunning Autumn Color
- Guanacos, condors, and an assortment of other wildlife and birds. A rare chance to see the elusive puma.
- Professional guiding and hands-on photography instruction.
- Local Guide(s) Argentinean and Chilean
- Lightroom and Photoshop instruction
- Double occupancy lodging (single supplement $1000) and breakfasts.
- Local transportation during workshop. We will have a large bus with ample space for gear and comfort.
- Entrance fees to National Parks, guide fees, guide tips,
What’s Not Included
- International flights to and from Calafate, Argentina (FTE) and airport transfers.
- Dinners and lunches.
- Drinks & Alcoholic Beverages
- Trip Insurance (highly recommended).
Arrival| 1 Night
Arrival in El Calafate (airport code FTE from Buenos Aires AEP). Hotel Patagonia Queen
(people arrive at different times. It is extremely easy to just book a taxi to the hotel, $25). We’ll have an introductory dinner to discuss the coming trip and for everyone to say a little bit about themselves.
Day Two: Perito Moreno Glacier/El Calafete| 1 Night
To kick of the tour we visit one of the world’s largest glaciers and one of Argentina’s most iconic sights - Perito Moreno Glacier. We will spend the day photographing this amazing location before returning to El Calafate for the night.
Day Three: Off to El Chalten | 1 Night
Today we head off for the journey north across the Patagonian Steppe to the mountain village of El Chalten, home to Mount Fitzroy and Los Glaciares National Park. After check-in and a break, we will head out to shoot that evening.
Day 4,5 & 6: Los Glaciares National Park and the surrounding area| 3 Nights
Over the course of the three days we have in El Chalten we will be visiting a variety of amazing locations that include some of the most iconic landscapes in the world. We will also have many opportunities to capture the stunning forests and waterfalls in the region dressed in autumn colors. On one of the three days, we will depart long before sunrise with a mountain guide to hike to Laguna Capri. This beautiful trek takes you to a viewpoint overlooking a lagoon of blue waters surrounded by native forest with stunning views and reflections of Fitz Roy. This hike is rated moderately difficult and includes about 6-7 miles of total hiking with an elevation gain of 700 feet.
Day Seven: Drive to Torres Del Paine| 1 Night
This will be a full days drive from El Cheltan to Torres Del Paine National Park with a boarder crossing into Chille. Check into hotel in Torres Del Paine and get some rest.
Days 8, 9 & 10: Tottes Del Paine| 3 Nights
This incredible park offers a vast variety of foregrounds below the peaks of the Cordillera Paine. What seperates Torres del Paine from Chalten is that the park has roads that make it easy to get around it’s countless fantastic shooting locations. Expect waterfalls, lakes, autumn foliage, steppe, forest and river scenes, all no more than a few hundred meters from a parking lot.
The park also has a great wildlife element - the Eastern part has a thriving population of Guanacos and it is common to find them atop the rolling hills with a beautiful mountainous backdrop. Where there are Guanacos, there are also Pumas, but seeing a Puma is incredibly rare and cannot be guaranteed.
Day Eleven: Drive to El Calafate| 1 night
Drive back to El Calafate. Check in at Hotel Patagonia Queen. Farewell dinner.
Participants can catch their rides to the airport after breakfast. Ride not included
TECHNIQUES COVERED IN TOUR
In the Field
- Understanding the light and choosing the best exposure
- Composition. Balance and harmony, leading lines and creating depth.
- Lens choice. From the wide-angle vista to shooting landscape abstracts with a telephoto lens
- Capturing moving water
- Shooting multiple image panoramas
- Controlling light in scenes with a wide dynamic range using graduated filters and/or multiple exposures
- Using filters
- Shooting in the blue hour and overcast weather
- Using Lightroom to apply contrast locally, RAW Development
- “Shaping” the light using contrast tools in Photoshop and Lightroom
- Different techniques for blending multiple exposures of the same image
- Stitching multiple panoramas together
- Finishing touches for processing to give images dramatic punch
- Sharpening images