Dates: November 28 - December 3, 2023
Instructor: Joseph Rossbach
Cost: 2495.00 (300.00 non refundable deposit due at registration)
Group Size: Limited to 6 participants
Locations: Death Valley National Park, Eastern Sierra, including the Alabama Hills, Mono Lake & Bristlecone Pines (weather conditions permitting).
Variety and epic scenery is the name of the game on this 7-day photo workshop. We'll explore the best locations along the Eastern Sierra and in Death Valley National Park.
You'll have a chance to photograph arches, hot springs, jagged mountain peaks, sand dunes, ancient bristlecone pine's and many other amazing subjects.
Day One: Meet at 1pm for opening orientation at Stovepipe Wells Resort and Hotel in the center of Death Valley National Park followed by a sunset shoot in the Mesquite Sand Dunes.
Day Two: Sunrise/morning photo session in Death Valley National Park followed by an afternoon break. Afternoon/sunset photo session.
Day Three:Sunrise/morning photo session in Death Valley National Park followed by an afternoon break. Afternoon/sunset photo session.
Day Four: Sunrise/morning photo session in Death Valley National Park. Checkout of hotel in Death Valley by 11am and drive (1.5 hours) to Lone Pine at the foot of the might Sierra Mountains. Afternoon class session in Lone Pine followed by a sunset shoot in the Alabama Hills.
Day Five: Sunrise morning shoot in the Alabama Hills and surrounding areas. Afternoon Class session focusing on post processing. Afternoon/sunset shoot.
Day Six: Sunrise morning shoot below the Eastern Sierra Mountains. Breakfast as a group. Workshop concludes.
Recommended Camera Gear
- Sturdy tripod and ballhead
- Digital SLR or Mirrorless Camera Body.
- Wide angle lens in the 14-30mm range.
- Mid-range zoom lens in the range of 24-100mm.
- Long telephoto lenss for landscape compression and wildlife encounters. We recommend something in the 100-400mm range.
- Circular polarizer filters for your lenses. If you like shooting with grads, bring them along.
- Extra batteries, memory cards, and cleaning supplies.
- Remote cord for your camera.
- Cover for your camera/lens to protect against weather and high winds.
- Laptop if you wish to backup your photos or follow along during the post-processing instruction.
Personal Gear List
- Sturdy hiking footwear, hiking socks, and hiking pants.
- A rain jacket and several warm layers (upper and lower body) as it can get very cold in the high country.
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Sun Hat, Warm Hat, and Gloves
- Water bottle or hydration bladder.
- Hiking poles if you like having them.
Getting to the Workshop/Planning Your Trip
The closest major airport to Death Valley is Las Vegas International. The drive time to Stovepipe Wells is 2.5 hours. Plan on renting a small SUV as we will be traveling on some bumpy gravel and dirt roads over the workshop (4x4 is not needed). The drive to Las Vegas from Mono Lake at the conclusion of the workshop is 5.5 hours. So plan on either flying out late that evening or the next day.