Friday, May 21
Meet & Greet starting at 5pm at the hotel followed by classroom lectures on Composition/Use of Light & shooting locations.
Saturday, May 22
Sunrise & morning field session followed by breakfast break. 1pm class session with lectures on shooting techniques including compositions, best practices, use of filters, creative exposure and more. Late afternoon/sunset field session.
Sunday, May 23
Sunrise & morning field session followed by breakfast break. 1pm class session with lecture on shooting intimate images & waterfalls. Late afternoon/sunset field session.
Monday, May 24
Sunrise & morning field session followed by breakfast break. 1pm class session on editing images in Adobe Lightroom & image critique session. Late afternoon/sunset field session.
Tuesday, May 25
Sunrise/morning field session. Workshop concludes at 10am.
Meeting Location: Days Inn - 212 10th Ave, Wall, SD 57790
- 35 mm dSLR (or equivalent quality mirrorless or medium format system)
- Lenses, wide angle to mid-telephoto (approx. 14mm-200mm for general nature)
- comfortable carrying case/bag or backpack
- sturdy tripod with ball head (should also feature a quick release mounting system)
- memory cards (this will vary depending on shooting style and camera resolution but you should have at least 32 gigabytes if your camera is 16 megapixels or higher)
- extra batteries and charger (very important)
- filters: polarizer, graduated neutral density and/or neutral density (if you have them)
- cable release or remote trigger
Clothing and Personal Items:
- waterproof and windproof shell jacket and pants
- insulating layers or jacket, warm hat & gloves (temps at sunrise during sprint and fall wksps could easily be near freezing and quite chilly if you’re not prepared)
- sturdy walking shoes or hiking boots
- rubber boots or waders for shooting along streams, waterfalls or coast (very optional)
- bug repellent (seasonal)
- sunscreen (critical for desert and summer workshops)
- water bottle (critical for desert workshops)
- snacks (something to tide you over as meals are second to chasing great light)
- headlamp or small flashlight
- day pack
Other helpful items:
- laptop computer with Adobe CC or Lightroom installed (Adobe offers free trial versions of each good for 30 days. Don’t install too early as you’ll want the trial to last for the duration of the program)
- notebook and pen
- samples of your work for critique
- external hard drive for image back-up
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any items on the gear list please do not hesitate to call 443-710-5057 or email.